The Committee on Lesbian and Gay History was founded in 1979 to promote the study of homosexuality in the past and present by facilitating communication among scholars in a variety of disciplines working on a variety of cultures. The name of the committee was changed to Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender History in January 2009. Since 1982, the Committee has been officially recognized as an affiliate of the American Historical Association and meets annually in conjunction with the AHA conference, where we sponsor sessions on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer history. One need not be a member of the AHA to join the Committee.
On this website, you’ll find:
- Newsletter: Archives of the Committee’s newsletter from 2005 to the present.
- Prizes: The Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History awards five prizes for outstanding work in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer history. This page describes those prizes and lists past winners and citations.
- Syllabi: A collection of recently taught courses by members of the Committee on LGBT History
- CLGBTH In Action: Includes a database of dissertations in LGBTQ history, reports by the Committee, and programs of past annual meetings and other information regarding the activities of the CLGBTH.
- Contact Us: Our current contact information.
Co-Chairs: Chelsea Del Rio, CUNY LaGuardia Community College and Eric Gonzaba, California State University Fullerton (2021-2023)
Executive Director: Will Kuby, University of Tennessee Chattanooga
Website Editor: Kevin C. Quin, Cornell University
Review Editor: Caroline Radesky, University of Iowa
Howard Chiang, University of California, Davis (2019-2021)
Rachel Corbman, Wake Forest University (2021-2023)
Lauren Gutterman, University of Texas Austin (2021-2023)
Scott Larson, University of Michigan (2019-2021)
La Shonda Mims, Middle Tennessee State University (2021-2023)
Gregory Samantha Rosenthal, Roanoke College (2021-2023)
Natalie Shibley, Wesleyan University (2021-2023)
Sarah E. Watkins, Independent Scholar (2019-2021)
Terms run from January 1 of the first year named through December 31 of the second year named, e.g. January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2021 and January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2023.
Last Updated: 18 December 2020